Friday, October 9, 2009

Well... We Did It!











Yep, that's right we cruised. For all those friends who have been telling us for years you've got to go on a cruise, I have to say it was... enlightening. By enlightening I mean this. I always take pleasure in trying new things and seeing new places. And, don't think for a minute I didn't appreciate the opportunity to get away and do something new. But this wasn't exactly my idea of great travel. However, I really do get why a lot of people love this type of adventure, and... adventure it was.

We started our trip by getting up at 3:30 AM to get to the airport and hopefully catch the first flight to Dallas. You see, my husband works for the airline industry and we fly standby. This means that whenever we travel by air, we just cross our fingers and hope we can actually get to our destination. This trip we were able to get on all the flights we had hoped to (except for the final flight home and than we made it on the next flight). It's always a little nerve wracking, but hey, free is free.

We landed in Miami around noon and were at our hotel by 1:00. Our balcony room looked right out on Biscayne Bay. Beautiful! We didn't explore much of Miami but our night's stay was lovely. At noon, the following day, we headed to our ship. Boarding was very well organized and we zipped right through the process. Now this is where my head started spinning. Stepping on the ship was like entering another world- a loud, crowded, partying world. It took the better part of two days for me to even find my way around this huge monstrosity.

(Our ship was the larger of the two!)

Day 2 we docked in Key West. Love that town. I've been there once years ago and remembered it fondly. Now I remember why. It's quaint, unique and has a particularly interesting history. Craig and I toured the town via the "Conch Train". I would strongly suggest doing this for anyone heading there for the first time. You get a great overview of the history, the gorgeous homes and an opportunity to view the lay of the land.

(Southern most point in US - Key West, Florida)

Day 3 was spent swimming in the warm waters off Cozumel, Mexico. I'd forgotten how relaxing it is to bob in warm sea water. It has been a few years since I'd spent any time in a warm ocean. Maybe the best thing I did.

(Lily white Vicky resting between jaunts in the ocean- Cozumel, Mexico.)

Day 4 was at sea. On this day, Craig and I separated for some time. That was cool. Six days of constant companionship makes one start to get a little testy. Craig watched the Chiefs game at the sports bar and then tried his hand at Black Jack. He won enough money to cover our tips and travel home!!! Yeah! Making this even more of a "budget trip".

(Sunset from the ship)

Here are the things I didn't like about this particular cruise:

- Noise: Imagine 3,000 partying people.

-Inside cabin: I actually had a bit of a panic attack the first night. Something about the pitch dark and the image of a bizzillion tons of ship on top of you and an ocean just right outside that could come flooding in at any moment. This only happened once. In daylight I was not worried about any ship disasters.

- Quiet Time: No where to quietly read a book, contemplate, relax and just be. Now... you could do that in your cabin but inside cabins are NOT conducive to hanging out.

-Partying: I wasn't that interested in getting inebriated, which seemed to be the number 1 occupation.

-Cheesiness Factor: Bingo, anyone?

-Cozumel: I've been to a couple Mexican resort towns and to Mexican border towns, as well as the interior of Mexico. I always felt like I stepped into another world, but the Carnival port isn't the real thing. It didn't feel like Mexico, it felt like a stage set. I was disappointed.

Things I loved about the cruise:

-The Ocean: Warm, balmy, ocean breezes and the smell... yum, love that fishy, salty smell of the ocean.

-Convenience: Who wouldn't like taking their hotel with them? No flights, trains or car rides between destinations. No moving luggage around. No navigating new and strange lands without a clue. You are moved from place to place and guided every step of the way. For those who have some fear of new places and strange lands, this is the way to go.

-Gluttony: It's seriously fun to eat about every two hours, simply because you can. The food output is outrageous. Some of it was a bit sub par but much of it was great.

-Chocolate Melting Cake: Apparently anyone who has been aboard a Carnival cruise is familiar with this delectable dessert. I ate one every day!

-People Watching: I was amazed at the diversity aboard ship. Europeans, every ethnicity, families, hard bodies, beautiful swim suit modelish girls, very large bikini clad women, lots of seniors, drunky mcdrunkersons (we actually saw a young women puke all over herself and on those seated near her at one of the comedy shows), all ages, sizes and shapes. While I sometimes felt overwhelmed by all the bodies and the talking and the music, it was truly people watching heaven.

-People Meeting: We met some lovely folks on this trip. We also met some not-so-lovely folks, but they sometimes make the best stories.

-Entertainment: We saw 2 great comedians, a high cost variety show, heard lots of good music and enjoyed Karaoke. We even danced in a conga line (now how cruisey is that?). Craig sang twice and even had two women dance on stage with him and slip him dollar bills. Funny, funny, funny.

-Positive Body Awareness: Now hear this... you do not EVER need to be overly concerned about your swim suit body on a cruise. Seriously, no one cares and there are ALL types (big, really big, small, young, old, really old, etc.)

-Spouse Time: Spending time with the husband... always a good thing.

In the end I am so glad we did it. It was a new experience, something that is as important as breathing to me. Would I do it again? Maybe. I think location would be the enticement- I'm thinking Alaskan or Mediterranean Cruise. Somewhere I've never been before. It also would be fun to travel with others. Craig and I sometimes felt kind of left out with all the families and groups in abundance. And a balcony room would be a must.

I'm just grateful for the get-a-way. Now... where to next?

VSL

















No comments:

Post a Comment