Saturday, September 4, 2010

What's It Like To Be A Preacher?


Yesterday I was sitting at a memorial service for one of my parent's closest friends. My dad did the eulogy. Nothing unusual about that considering my dad wasn't just a dear friend, but also a retired pastor. I grew up a preacher's daughter and watched my dad in the pulpit every Sunday. I saw him perform weddings. I saw him perform funerals. He took late night phone calls, counseled behind closed doors and spent hours away from home, caring for his parishioners.



Despite this awareness, as I listened to his eulogy, it struck me that my dad's career choice (and that of all clergy) is really very awe inspiring. Interestingly, my family is full of protestant ministers (on both sides), but it hadn't ever really occurred to me how deeply this career choice must affect their lives and the persons they become.

Sitting there, I thought, "What is it like to be that person?" The person who sits by your dying husband's bedside and leads you through the next few days, culminating in a funeral service. What's it like to work with a young couple who plan to marry and to be an integral part of such a joyful day. What's it like to go from hospital room to hospital room, tending to the sick. To be called upon when a family is in crisis, when a child has gone astray. To visit a new mother. To be counted on for consultation, spiritual advice, healing, words of wisdom. What's it like to hold the hand of a perfect stranger in their darkest hour?

I thought about the role clergy play in this world- such a sacred role, such an honorable role. One that holds such an extreme level of responsibility and accountability. These are the people we turn to in our most vulnerable moments. Truly, they see it all. We trust they will be there when we call. We trust them to keep our confidence. We trust they will guide us when we are lost. We trust they will listen to our deepest secrets and help us find answers. Our trust in them is total.

My dad grew up the son of a United Methodist pastor, so he knew what was in store for him. Though I doubt as young seminary student he could really grasp the full extent of what would be expected of him. How could he really comprehend the important role he'd play in so many lives? And how heavily people would count on him.

The career paths most of us choose really kind of pale in comparison. Maybe doctors get close, but even they aren't relied upon for the many and varied life circumstances that are called upon by our spiritual leaders.


Sitting in the quiet of the church while my dad spoke of his dear friend's life, I thought "Wow!" what an amazing honor it is to be this man's daughter and how thankful we should all be for those men and women who step into our lives when we need them most.

Kind of takes my breath away...


VSL

No comments:

Post a Comment