Tuesday, September 8, 2009

After Thoughts On A Perfect Wedding


A friend once told me that her daughter's wedding day was the happiest day of her life. I thought that was a sweet sentiment but I'd seen the harried parents of the bride and been involved in the frenzy of activities surrounding a wedding and secretly thought the day might just be a bit overwhelming and probably pretty exhausting for the mother of the bride. It's not that I wasn't excited and it's not that I didn't think there would be some pretty special moments but I really was not prepared for the love fest that occurred.
You see, my daughter's wedding was pretty damn perfect. The universe conspired to create perfect weather, an orange full moon, country air, a wonderful mix of wedding guests and a bride and groom in love and enjoying every single moment.
Yes, it was hectic. Looking back I find myself wishing I had spent more time with those who had traveled far. I wish I could have been everywhere at once and been a part of every special moment that occurred. But even though it did pass in a blur, I was absolutely euphoric. My friend was right. My daughter's wedding day was definitely one of the best of my life and I can now anticipate the same for my other children.
This aftermath is strange though, I am feeling a bit unsettled, even a bit upset that it is all over. You would think I would be exhausted after five days of wedding festivities but I wish I could turn back the clock, do it all again, only in slow motion.
Some Highlights:
-Tucking my grown daughters into bed the night before, feeling gleeful and anticipatory.
-Waking the morning of the wedding with the excitement one feels as a child at Christmas.
-Craig singing "Going To The Chapel" as Ali left the house.
-Gathering at my sister's house while the bridesmaids had their hair done.
-High fiving with Craig as we drove to the church, feeling some disbelief that the day was actually here and the moment had arrived.
-The arrival of friends and loved ones at the church. Some I hadn't seen in years.
-My joyous walk down the aisle on the arm of my son.
-Ali and her father making it down the aisle without Craig breaking down. Ali beaming the entire way.
-My father officiating the ceremony in the same church Craig and I were married in 30 years ago.
-My eldest daughter singing The Lord's Prayer as the setting sun broke through the stain glass as though God was blessing this happy occasion.
-Giving my new son-in-law his first "Vicky Kiss" at the end of the ceremony. (I'm told I kiss hard when I am feeling especially affectionate!)
-Watching Ali and Paul arrive at the reception site via horse and buggy.
-The full orange moon shining on the reception.
-Dancing, Dancing, Dancing- young and old alike.
-Hugs and laughter and a beaming bride and groom.
We were truly blessed. Blessed with no real glitches, blessed with friends and family in attendance but most of all blessed with a new son-in-law who is truly stellar. It's strange to add a new member to the family. I knew I really liked him but it didn't really, really hit me until the wedding day. As I looked at Paul, I realized I just love him. I love him because he is such a great guy, I love him because he loves my daughter, I love him because he will be a forever part of our future, I love him because he will be the father of my grandchildren. It may seem odd to acknowledge that feeling because surely it's a normal reaction but I don't always think it's a given and I was thrilled to feel that in a deep and abiding way.
All in all it was a perfect wedding. And while I am sure most mothers of the bride feel the same, I'm just saying... this really was amazingly, intoxicatingly, blessedly perfect.
Sigh...
VSL

1 comment:

  1. Ali and Paul's wedding was wonderful in every way. Thank you for inviting us to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete