Monday, August 31, 2009

It's Wedding Week!!!

My daughter, Ali, gets married on Saturday. It seems like just a short while ago I was saying -my daughter is getting married in 6 months, then 4 months, then 6 weeks and now it's here. IT'S WEDDING WEEK! Despite a certain amount of anxiety and trepidation, I am ready for this glorious day.

I find it interesting how the natural progression of life prepares you for these huge moments. A daughter is born and she grows and grows. First come the sleepless nights of infancy. Those days you hope will pass soon, and they do. And in a blink of an eye, you've weaned her from the bottle, sent her off to Kindergarten, traversed elementary school, ached with her during those awful junior high moments, taught her to drive, celebrated her in a cap and gown, driven away from a dorm in a far off campus with tears in your eyes, proudly watched her land her first grown up job and cheered with her when she met the man of her dreams.

And even though it passes quickly, life does conspire to prepare you for all those stages. So having a daughter ready to walk down the aisle feels like the next step. I am ready for this. Ready to watch Ali in her gown walking down the aisle on her father's arm, ready to celebrate with friends and family and ready to welcome Paul into our family.

I think ahead to next steps for all my children- first houses, career moves and babies. Yes, babies. I already think about what those babies will look like, maybe they will have auburn hair like my daughters, Paige and Ali, or a face full of freckles and cat green eyes like my son, Evan. I know deep in my soul that my relationship with those little creatures will be like no other. I CAN'T WAIT TO BE A GRANDMOTHER! I've seen how the lives of my parents, my in-laws and now some of my friends have been so enriched by their grandchildren and I know mine will be too.

And so I move through these next few days, giddy with anticipation, joy and excitement. And, though, it's a new phase in Ali's life, it's my next step too and I welcome it with open arms. Craig and I will now be the proud parents of a married child. I will add this day to all those shining days I've celebrated in my life- my own wedding and the births of each of my children.

Today I am trying to take slow breaths and enjoy this week, this week that comes with all the festivities lying just ahead and an understanding that it too will be over in the blink of an eye.

My daughter is getting married on Saturday, Oh Joyful day.

VSL


1 comment: